A picture is worth a thousand words. Except when I’m trying to photograph soup-then not so much. I wish I could capture the rich orange color of this soup–you will just have to make it yourself and see! It is a very unusual combination of sweet and spicy. Not only it is delicious-it may even help you clear out ye olde sinuses.
- One cooked butternut squash
- One very large onion or two small onions
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (to make it Paleo leave out butter and add more coconut oil)
- 2-3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 green apple, peeled & chopped
- Large chunk ginger (@ 1-2 inches) peeled & grated
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (or paprika if red pepper is too spicy)
- 4 cups water
Cook onions in butter and coconut oil until soft over low heat, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook another minute. Then add rest of ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer @ 20 minutes. Puree with stick blender leaving some cubes of apple for texture.