This soup is a light and refreshing chowder delicious on it’s own and even better with roasted fish added. Due to my delicate constitution (or delicate humors) I can’t eat onions/leeks/garlic lately but the herbs give this soup tons of flavor.
When peeling the celery root you will notice a strong celery flavor (didn’t see that coming!) but I guess I was surprised as it looks nothing like celery. It has a mild flavor that is an excellent potato substitute. Double down on the parsnip for a sweeter soup.
The herbs will come off their stem when cooking–no need to take off leaves in advance.
- Celery root, peeled and cubed
- Parsnip, peeled and cube
- Big bunch or fresh oregano and/or thyme
- Kale or other green vegetable
- Cover celery root, parsnip and herbs with water and bring to a boil
- Simmer at least 45 minutes or until very soft
- Remove stems of herbs
- Blend with stick blender
- Add greens and simmer until cooked through