I had so much fun making this recipe. I picked the apple from our tree, the nuts came from the local farmer’s market and the squash from our weekly farm box. After I devoured it I threw the shell in the compost pile in our backyard.
I’m sure it was extra yummy due to the freshness, but this is also a tasty, healthy “pantry recipe”. You can easily keep these ingredients on hand to throw together at the last minute. Squash lasts for months on the counter and I suggest keeping nuts in the freezer. Dried fruit may also be used.
- Acorn Squash, cut in half and seeds removed
- Nuts, chopped (I used a mixture of pistachios, walnuts and chestnuts)
- Apple, peeled and chopped
- Coconut oil
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix nuts, apple, and cinnamon
- Divide mixture and place in cavities of squash halves
- Top with dabs of coconut oil and shake of salt
- Cover and bake @ 40 minutes or until cooked through