So many store bought granolas are full of added sugar and/or oils. Making your own granola is so easy, fun and totally customizable. My daughter and husband were very interested in the process (although my husband may have been just making conversation). In any event, it is very healthy and great to make with kids.
These instructions are based on a recipe from Elana’s Pantry a wonderful gluten-free blog I have been reading for years. If you are looking for some new ideas go check out her blog!
Here is how:
- Three cups nuts (previously soaked if desired)
- One cup seeds
- One cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, dried cherries etc)
- Half cup water
- One tablespoon flavored extract
- Spices to taste (pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg etc)
- Salt to taste
- Add water to fruit until plumped and process together in food processor
- Remove fruit mixture and add nuts and seeds
- Process nuts and seeds to desired texture
- Put fruit, seeds and nuts into large bowl. Add flavor extract, salt, and spices and stir to combine.
- Lay mixture on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in oven at 225 for @ 40 minutes. Turn oven off and leave in overnight so it dries completely.
- Break up and store in glass jar.